Thursday 11 July 2013

Spoken Word: "It's Okay"


"It's Okay"
Written: October 24th, 2012
NOTE: MATURE CONTENT

Abuse - in all it's forms (emotional, verbal, physical, etc) - is more common than you think. Violence in relationships is more common than you could ever imagine. Look at me, read my words, see my strength and know that this (this!) happened to me. 

I am two years out and have healed so, so much. I want to inspire you, your sisters and your friends. I want you to know that no matter what happened to you, you will be okay. 


It’s okay because I have no scars
It’s okay because it doesn't hurt anymore
It’s okay because I no longer cry myself to sleep
It’s okay because the time you kicked me, I got up
It’s okay because the time you spit in my face, I washed my face
It’s okay because even though I have a bump showing that my jaw has not realigned
I can still talk fine and I look fine
It’s okay

It’s alright that you cheated on me
It’s alright that you fxcked another girl four days before
I flew across the Atlantic to say “Hi” to your dick
Yeah it’s alright
It’s alright that you claimed she was just a friend
It’s alright that you stayed up past 3AM texting this one, that one, her and her and her
It's alright that when I saw the BBM message and wanted to fight you
That you fought back
It’s alright that you punched me three times in my arm to form a perfect purple circle
To get me to calm down

It doesn’t matter that you tore off my self esteem
It doesn’t matter that you made me wish I could carve out the part of me that was white
And “Of the Devil”
It doesn’t matter that I would sit and look at my skin reaching the borderline of crazy
Wondering where white started and black ended so I could tear out the part you didn’t like
That part you said made me a bitch
It doesn’t matter
That I had an anxiety attack in public
It doesn’t matter that I cried to my dead mother begging her to take me because I can’t do this
It does not matter that I felt alone
That the whole world was calling but I had no phone
Because you threw it in the snow

It does not matter
That I have tried to hit you and slap you and tear you down with my words
Only to feel a blow I could never have power to give
No it doesn’t matter
When you kicked me as I cried
You kicked me as I cried
You kicked me as I cried
With your strong soccer legs
When you punched me in that same leg and I screammmed
It does not matter
That I sat in a counselor’s chair trying to figure out how to kill this
Angry
Battered
Woman
It doesn’t matter that she couldn’t help me
It doesn’t matter that people thought I was crazy
I do not care

Although I still shed tears because I remember how my heart was broken
I know my spirit never was
Even though I still have flashbacks
I have found a way to trust
Because I learned that God is bigger than you
I was led away from Egypt
Through the Red Sea of my tears and blood
I was delivered
And I have forgiven you
I have learned to never raise my hand
To never threaten
To answer with a gentle tongue and not a slave master’s whip
I have learned that this is life
And I have to get a grip

I have learned that it is not okay, it is not alright, it does matter and that I do care
I have learned that to tear you down will not raise me up
I have learned that within the sheep’s skin can be a wolf
I have learned that I can still love through my abuse
I have learned that I can walk away from yesterday
Because what is yesterday should not dictate what I say Yes to today
I have learned that in my hands I hold strength
 In my heart I hold will
In my mind I can hold peace
 With my feet I can be firm 
And with my legs I can walk away

Today it is okay
Today it is alright
Today it does not matter
Today I do not care that I went through the valley of the shadow of death
Because today I am here
And I have learned

That I am okay

I'm okay

Please know that you too will be okay.

All my love,

Zemi


No comments:

Post a Comment